The Chronicles of Getting Old: Vol. 1

Here I sit writing this post, feeling pain in a few different spots on my body. Yep, I have a large ovarian cyst and gallstones. Not only am I worried about going through surgery again (because I’m a wuss), but because I worry that more people like me will leave their pain undiagnosed thanks to doctors who shrug off our complaints as nothing unusual. That’s what happened to me. gynecologist

Early last week I had intense shooting pains in my uterus area. Sit tight men, I won’t go into graphic detail. Anywho, I called my [new] gynecologist and scheduled an appointment for the next day. For over a year and a half I have been off my father’s insurance and without any of my own. Finally, when I applied for Obamacare and was accepted, I was given a limited amount of doctors to choose from. I went to Planned Parenthood for my check-up. Now, I’m not knocking PP, because I am grateful to have any type of health insurance. However, the doctor barely touched me (no ultrasound, either), and told me the pain was just temporary and could have been from one of three reasons:

1. My birth control was causing pain (that happens?)

2. I didn’t properly achieve an orgasm which caused unrest and tension in my lady bits

3. A penis disrupted my cervix

The first two seemed highly unlikely to me, and, well, I doubt a penis would cause this kind of pain (nausea and shooting pains which inhibited walking or sitting up for hours). She didn’t even tell me what to do about it, I just figured that most likely meant Advil and rest. I knew as I was walking to my car that I had to get a second opinion.

How I feel about all of this

How I feel about all of this

I have had problems in the past with ovarian cysts. In 2006 I underwent surgery to remove two and never want to relive that recovery again. But now it is  happening again. I called my healthcare provider for a list of other doctors and immediately scheduled a complete pelvic and abdominal ultrasound (per their suggestion).

I am waiting for the results of my blood test later this afternoon, and praying there’s nothing new to add to all of this. My primary will then tell me how they want to go about removing the gallstones and the cyst.

Now that I’m getting older, I am starting to realize the importance of literally everything health-related. I smoke cigarettes and I drink alcohol. While my eating habits have been getting much better, I know that staying up until 3 a.m. partying will have repercussions on my body… and no one is immune to disease or cancer.

My point here is not to complain about getting old, although it is a shitty feeling. It’s to let it be known that doctors are humans, and humans make mistakes. Also, if I may say so, some doctors just suck. If I listened to that PP doctor and tried to mask the pain via Ibuprofen, who knows what could have happened. By my understanding, gallbladder issues left untreated can lead to serious problems, cysts that erupt are also very dangerous. I didn’t even feel pain in my side, so perhaps this all was a blessing in disguise.

I need to find a mutual meet-up spot for my relatively youthful side and the respect my body deserves. We all need that balance, no matter if we are 17 years-old or seventy. Depending on how this all pans out, maybe this was the kind of wake-up call I needed.

10 thoughts on “The Chronicles of Getting Old: Vol. 1

1. Christopher S. Malone says:

It’s amazing how our bodies are so fragile, and we don’t realize it. I’m guilty of poor decision making as far as health goes, and I’ve probably done some damage, but it definitely is important to heed signs and accept them. It’s been an interesting perspective taking a step back from going out some days during the week and every weekend; I still go out, but take it drastically easier. Where I once feared people would give me shit about not drinking, they applaud me for it.

Regardless, we have to stay positive and keep on livin’ while still having fun… we just have to be cautious. Best with everything and feel better!

2. Michelle says:

I was given great advice by a Nurse friend of mine many years ago. She said “YOU are the CEO of your body. No one else has the kind of expertise you have, so if it is telling you something hurts or you don’t feel ‘right,’ find out what is going on. Leave no stone unturned.”

Kudos to you for advocating on your own behalf! Feel better!

3. Noah Weiss says:

It seems that as you get older, you get much more aware of things from the past that can cost you later. However, I don’t think that it is ever “too late” to desist from harmful activity.

4. tom says:

It is always tough in situations where we don’t have superior knowledge. Much of the time I am hoping doctors really know what they are doing.

5. deirdrep says:

I totally hear you on the core of this post!! Good job being proactive – that has been a hard learned lesson for me, and it sounds the same way for you. Finding balance in life can be just as hard as finding a good medical team, but definitely trust yourself and you’ll get to where you’re going! Best of luck to you.

6. Humor_Me_Now says:

I am 80 years old. I loved hitting 80–my wife of 59 years did not. lol My single daughter as had an operation to reduce the size of her ovaries and told to start birth control pills. She is doing fine now.

I have been going to doctors, dentists, specialists, surgeons, and hospitals all of my life. I am the only male to live past 71 on my dad’s side of the family.

You are very wise to start thinking about your health. When I was 40, I had my first heart attack and that was a wake up call. I lost 65 pounds and kept it off thanks to God alone. I also started daily exercise. It paid off. I also have a great wife who is in to healthy living other than she likes fast fat food outlets. She has been on a diet our entire marriage. I cannot seem to stop her from eating so many carbs.

I quit drinking and smoking when I was 30. I won’t bore you, but my wife and I became born again Christians on the same day. That was nice instead of just one of us.

I sure am glad you have health insurance. I cannot talk my married daughter to buy it—-she is passive aggressive. lol She is a big girl now so I do not meddle or push. lol

Finally, you can fun in your old age. We are going to Hawaii again in September and next year for our 60th wedding anniversary—I hope. lol Wow–I married my high school girl friend and she is still beautiful. We have opposite personalities. lol That was hard at first.

Sorry so long, but you inspired me. I sure hope you get fixe up easily.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )